The game won me over

Share your thoughts and feedback on Nitronic Rush. Remember to be constructive.

The game won me over

Postby FreakX » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:33 pm

This game is incredible! Creds to the guys who made it.

I have 1 question tho. Is the track editor ever going to become more user friendly? At the moment, its very hard to use. Have a look at trackmania's editor, its a good place to start....

FreakX.
FreakX

Re: The game won me over

Postby BraveDude8 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:11 am

Track editor has not been properly implemented yet, but I agree on making it like Trackmania's. Sorry devs, but there is no way i can NOT make comparisons to Trackmania with this game. They both cater to the same audience, and are both excellent games.
I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Postby Haligen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:02 pm

The level editor is much like blender, and more than likely will not stray from it. So, it basically is not going to be tile-based like Trackmania's. The editor was built for a quicker way to build levels which it definitely does.

The game is meant to be free-form and to create a tile-based editor that allows for that is pretty difficult. Tile-based editors also limit your ability to change objects in the way you wish. In the Nitronic Rush editor you can scale, rotate and move objects to any spot within the world. You just have more control with the way the Nitronic Rush editor is implemented.

What makes the editor hard to use? Is it the placement of objects, hot-key memorization, or something else?
Haligen

Postby FreakX » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:25 am

Haligen wrote:The level editor is much like blender, and more than likely will not stray from it. So, it basically is not going to be tile-based like Trackmania's. The editor was built for a quicker way to build levels which it definitely does.

The game is meant to be free-form and to create a tile-based editor that allows for that is pretty difficult. Tile-based editors also limit your ability to change objects in the way you wish. In the Nitronic Rush editor you can scale, rotate and move objects to any spot within the world. You just have more control with the way the Nitronic Rush editor is implemented.

What makes the editor hard to use? Is it the placement of objects, hot-key memorization, or something else?

The hotkeys i can deal with (im a starcraft player, so its not a problem remembering hotkeys) but the placement of objects is hard to do correctly and a very slow process. Also movement of your camera isn't a fun task either, its kind of awkward.

However i do agree the current setup gives alot of freedom over what you can do. But i think it can be tweaked to make it abit easyer to do stuff.

FreakX
FreakX

Postby Haligen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:32 am

Sorry about the late post.

The best way to go about placing objects is to use the axis keys. So specifically moving the object along the x, y, or z axis. You can move objects along multiple axes as well by holding shift and then the desired axis that you don't want to move the object along. So if you want to move an object along the ground plane then you just have to hit shift+Z and you can move the objects along those axes.

Have you worked with any 3D tools? (Unreal, Unity, 3ds max, Maya, Blender, etc.)
An interesting thing about all of them (maybe not max and maya) is that they all have different control schemes D:

Even down to how the camera works.

How would you want the camera to work?
Haligen

Postby BraveDude8 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks Haligen
I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Postby gnreen753 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:49 pm