Modification of game files

Share your thoughts and feedback on Nitronic Rush. Remember to be constructive.

Modification of game files

Postby martheen » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:16 am

By modifying the game files, I've enabled the level editor, changing the default car to never overheat, and also enabled wings in levels where it supposed to be disabled. I really hope there is already a protection against uploaded ghost data from modified levels/cars, cause otherwise we'll get a lot of impossibly fast time record in the score board.
martheen

Re: Modification of game files

Postby ChrisBarrett » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:16 pm

The entire online score system was written with the main intent being to simplify playing with known people. Nearly-solid anti-cheat methods would have required much of the game to be implemented differently. So instead of spending a great deal of time on cheat-proofing a system that would ultimately be cheated anyway, I added the online "friend" group part of things. So you can play with just people you know, who also know which group you're in. Ultimately, even knowing that cheating is a simple thing to do, it seems worthwhile to add the online element. Though it is always sad to see the fun of many ruined for the enjoyment of one or a few.

If we were to make this game again, we already have in mind ways to prevent cheating.

I've already deleted one clearly cheated score, but generally won't continue to do so. Cheated scores can be added faster than I can clean them up. Down the road a community feature may be added to "down-vote" suspicious scores, to have them removed with enough votes.

We're hoping to see some interesting video of modifications from players that really enjoy playing with the values which have been left exposed. As well as player-made levels; though the level editor is made for use by developers. So it won't be "friendly," just usable. This also may be improved in the future, depending on how much time we have for it.

Thank you for your time, post, and concern.
ChrisBarrett

Leaderboard Initials: CHB

Postby martheen » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:50 pm

I see :) I was thinking about sending the hash of the parsed XML along with ghost data, then I remember they could patch the executable itself, etc, then I just realized it would probably as pointless as anti-piracy (annoying the legitimate user, cracked in the next day anyway). The community system should work well in my opinion, if it ever needed (hopefully not). Yep, I love the 'friend' group, I already imagining a local scores, scores acquired without boosting, etc.

The potential from video of customized play would be amazing, I've just seen some of the coolest tricks I never thought was possible, and those are with the original config. They probably could also get uploaded to some special 'custom' group.

About the level editor, even if it isn't user friendly yet, how about publishing the fact in the forums or twitter? That way you could gain the interest of potential level editors out there, there have been a lot of 'i can haz level editor plz' :)
martheen

Postby supercarz1991 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:32 pm

i'm majorly interested in the level editor

I'm a major modder of the games Combat Arms and NOLF2 (Lithtech Jupiter game engine). I'm highly used to not-so-user-friendly tools for making maps, models, prefabs, characters, etc.

i was actually thinking about PM'ing 1 of the admin/mods of the game to see if there would be a chance i might be able to help out. I could show examples of my work, but then again its a student project so i thought against it.

anyway, on the thought of cheating, If your into looking for a way to avoid it, maybe find a away to contact Creative Mobile. They have developed a Server Sided anti-cheat for there game Drag Racing on android/iOS to stop cheated race times. If you can't get ahold of them, i'm betting the method is as simple as setting up a PHP File with something like setting a minimum fastest race time for the track, then if anything faster comes in, it doesn't get posted and it gets reported as a cheated time
supercarz1991

Postby martheen » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:01 am

Have you enabled your level editor? You'll want to listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPdPnEP1YJI and set EditorEnabled=true in C:\Program Files\Digipen\Nitronic Rush\config\nitronic.ini and then, design away ^^
martheen

Postby supercarz1991 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:01 pm

martheen wrote:Have you enabled your level editor? You'll want to listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPdPnEP1YJI and set EditorEnabled=true in C:\Program Files\Digipen\Nitronic Rush\config\nitronic.ini and then, design away ^^

i did that already, but can't seem to figure out how to launch the level editor lol
supercarz1991

Postby ChrisBarrett » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Ah, right. That video is fairly old. Most of it still applies, but initially getting into the editor is different. And the transparent bars are slightly different.

To get into the level editor (once you've enabled it from the config file), hit Ctrl+Tilde from the main menu. Once in, Alt+Tilde toggles between editing mode and play mode.

To play on your new level, you'll have to make a new LevelSet file (or add it to an existing one, but I'd suggest a new one, since we may very well overwrite existing ones in a future update). LevelSet files are just basic XML text files, so you should be able to copy an existing one, tweak its values, and have your level appear in the game's Arcade menu. Not exactly user-friendly and nice, but functional. Saving your level file in our Levels folder will make this easier. Though be sure to create a backup of it elsewhere before updating the game (when we get to that point).
[Edit] If you've changed existing LevelSet files, or added new ones, you'll have to restart the game for those changes to be taken into account.

There's still a lot of undocumented features, bugs, hotkeys, and assumptions on the editor's use. So save often, keep backups, and prepare to be a little frustrated until we clean things up some more and provide better documentation.

P.S. Don't go to the level's finish point in the level editor. Don't remember what it does, exactly. You should still be able to edit and save after doing so, but I think the car will no longer take input or some similar behavior. It's just something we've generally avoided doing (and another thing to make nicer in the future).
ChrisBarrett

Leaderboard Initials: CHB

Postby supercarz1991 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:04 pm

thanks for that reply Chris, i'll see what i can do with it ;) lol the tracks we have are fairly awesome, and i still race em over n over. But the one thing that appeals to me most is always some form of customization to make yourself unique which is why i'm so interested in that level editor. That's one reason i still play Trackmania Sunrise all the time. It has an awesome editor
supercarz1991

Postby protogenxl » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:01 pm

I am just downloading the game now but I was wondering Is it possible to add your own music files?
protogenxl

Postby Haligen » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:53 pm

I created a post in the "share to the community" section viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28 with an editor hot-key list and a link to the two videos I created a while back. I might make a new video for level creation as it changed a bit as chris said.
Haligen

Next

Return to Feedback