Keyboard control inaccuracies

Get technical help, report issues, and help other Nitronic Rush players here.

Keyboard control inaccuracies

Postby Tobias » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:15 pm

I'm preferring the keyboard controls over my 360 pad because it's possible to do more complex moves with them due to the simple fact that you only have one thumb on your left hand so it's impossible to hit jump/boost at the same time as you're using the side thrusters. The problem I'm having with keyboard on the other hand is that for some reason accelerate/brake/steer causes the car to tilt slightly in the air which doesn't happen with the pad controls. I've been looking through ControlScheme_TriggerPedals_RollStick and I can't find any reason for this because they're bound to the same function, or any way to fix it, but it's annoying as hell.
Tobias

Re: Keyboard control inaccuracies

Postby BraveDude8 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:15 am

That just happens, think of it as the driver throwing his weight around inside the car :P
I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Postby martheen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:04 am

Great, now I can't keep my face straight the next time I roll the car with the up arrow button
martheen

Postby BraveDude8 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:06 am

martheen wrote:Great, now I can't keep my face straight the next time I roll the car with the up arrow button

Are you suggesting that there might be... passengers?
I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Postby martheen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:07 am

Oh stop it, my friends are looking at me funny
martheen

Postby BraveDude8 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:11 am

martheen wrote:Oh stop it, my friends are looking at me funny

What? It's your mind thats coming up with this :P
I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Postby martheen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:16 am

Well dang, now that explains why my car would somehow activates its tiny rockets when I alt-tab it. The driver really appreciate his spare time
martheen

Postby BraveDude8 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:18 am

Something I have noticed, when i go into Steam Overlay, the car starts to accelerate and boost automatically. This is with the keyboard, has it happened to anyone else?
I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Postby electronerd » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 pm

That's because boost is bound to shift, and since it's not a Steam game, the game has no way of knowing that the Steam overlay is stealing all of its input. So when you press Shift-Tab to open the overlay, the game gets the "Shift was pressed" message so it starts boosting, but it doesn't get a "Shift was released" message because the Steam overlay has intercepted that message. You'll notice similar behavior in many other games with actions bound to the shift and/or tab keys.
electronerd

Postby BraveDude8 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:21 pm

electronerd wrote:That's because boost is bound to shift, and since it's not a Steam game, the game has no way of knowing that the Steam overlay is stealing all of its input. So when you press Shift-Tab to open the overlay, the game gets the "Shift was pressed" message so it starts boosting, but it doesn't get a "Shift was released" message because the Steam overlay has intercepted that message. You'll notice similar behavior in many other games with actions bound to the shift and/or tab keys.

Ah, but it also acts like the forward key is being pressed. I've checked the acceleration speeds of boost and boost+forwards, and the speed it accelerates at it the same as boost+forwards.
I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Next

Return to Support and Bug Reports