Level Editor not saving levels

Get technical help, report issues, and help other Nitronic Rush players here.

Level Editor not saving levels

Postby Xanthus » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:16 am

When I don't run Nitronic Rush as administrator, I can place the road pieces, but I can't create / save levels. When I run it as administrator, I can create / save levels, but I can't drag icons over to place the pieces. Any idea what's going on? I'm running Windows 7 64 bit.

Edit: Exact same thing happening on my 32 bit (win7) laptop.
Xanthus

Re: Level Editor not saving levels

Postby supercarz1991 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:55 pm

they did say it was buggy lol
supercarz1991

Postby BraveDude8 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:33 am

Yeah, remember it is not properly implemented yet.
I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Postby CarolRawley » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:25 pm

How do you get the level editor? Because I really really want to use it.
Rocketing to the sky!
---
Check out http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/
CarolRawley

Postby electronerd » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:15 am

You are experiencing this issue due to the security enhancements first implemented in Windows Vista. Since the levels are stored in the Program Files hierarchy, you must be an administrator to write to them. Also, Windows will not allow Drag & Drop to flow from an application not running as an administrator (e.g. Windows Explorer) to an application running as an administrator. By default, even accounts in the Administrators group don't count as "administrators" unless the user has clicked yes to the "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" dialog for the specific instance of the program trying to use those privileges. This helps prevent malicious software from modifying program files for their nefarious ends.

You should not disable these important security enhancements. There are very good reasons that they were implemented. (You also should not run the game as an administrator.)

A wild Workaround appears!

Actually two of them!
Workaround One: Uninstall the game, and reinstall it to somewhere within your user profile. You should then have write access to the game's install folder without being an administrator.

Workaround Two: Change the permissions on just the levels folder to allow write access. This is more involved, and involves screwing around with permissions in your Program Files folder. Follow these instructions at your own risk. I cannot be held responsible for any damage you cause to your own computer.

1. Open the Nitronic Rush install directory (probably C:\Program Files (x86)\DigiPen\Nitronic Rush).
  2. Right-click on the Levels folder, and choose Properties.
  3. Choose the Security tab and click Edit.... You may recieve a UAC elevation prompt.
  4. Click the entry for "Users (<your computer's name>\Users)".
  5. Check the checkbox for Modify in the Allow column, and scroll down to verify that Write is now also checked.
  6. Click OK.

The editor should now be able to save files without being an administrator. Note that these steps will allow any user logged into your computer write access to the files. If for some reason you want to make it specific to just your user, that can be done in the same dialog, but I don't feel like trying to explain that procedure.
electronerd

Postby BraveDude8 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:25 am

'goes back and enables security enhancements'
I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Postby CarolRawley » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:35 am

'wonders why computer didn't cause any problems'
Rocketing to the sky!
---
Check out http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/
CarolRawley

Postby electronerd » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:47 am

CarolRawley wrote:How do you get the level editor? Because I really really want to use it.

See the stickies in viewforum.php?f=9.
electronerd

Postby BraveDude8 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:39 am

electronerd wrote:
CarolRawley wrote:How do you get the level editor? Because I really really want to use it.

See the stickies in viewforum.php?f=9.

Forgot about that :P Thanks
I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Postby Nicholas Creswick » Fri May 18, 2018 3:24 am

Microorganisms ha have been running for all such issues for the formative terms for the humans. The timely approval of the things and dissertations services is launched with the help of the quite good and ideal paths for the runners of the fields.
Nicholas Creswick

Next

Return to Support and Bug Reports