Graphics Bugs Advice

Get technical help, report issues, and help other Nitronic Rush players here.

Re: Graphics Bugs Advice

Postby Megaddd » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:42 am

electronerd wrote:That card is absolutely ancient. I hate to break it to you, but less than 5% of Steam users have GPUs that can't do Direct3D 10, which debuted four years after your card. Not much of an audience there to open up. That being said, NR should in theory run on your card (it does support SM 3.0). Unfortunately there is a known bug somewhere, but AFAIK neither I nor anybody on Team Nitronic can reproduce it, and being students, there isn't exactly a lot of money to be building a config test lab with, particularly for such far-outdated parts. (Of course, DigiPen should have such a lab available to the students, but this is neither the place nor the time for that rant.)

And I may catch shit for saying this, but please, please don't try to impress programmers by using jargon you don't understand. 100% of the time it has the exact opposite effect.

I am trying to impress nobody here, I am simply trying to lay out my ideas best to my understanding. (I'm really anxious to learn C++, bloody pascal..)

If you don't have an out-dated GPU, like a one on my machine, and if you'd have the time, I could open up access to my own PC via remote control software (Team Viewer?) to mess around with regularly. There is no ruse involved, I really want to help NR, as I know a fair lot of people who suffer the same fate. And whilst saying 'go get better gear' is correct in most cases, it's still an added bonus to be able to play NR on your dragon-age laptop or PC, because not everyone has the possibility of changing their PC and those people are left disappointed, drooling on the NR videos on YouTube.
Now, i'm not criticizing the Dev team for not being able to support such out-dated gear (given the circumstances), I'm just giving you my personal experience when i first tried the game (I did play it later on a friend's PC, though).

Here's a short video of what it looks like on my end:
Youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqXNuZ98qVM
Megaddd

Postby Monty » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:59 am

You're trying to play a Xbox 360 generation game with Dreamcast hardware. There's no way around it. You need to upgrade.
Monty

Postby Megaddd » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:23 am

Well... that's a bummer.
Megaddd

Postby electronerd » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:23 pm

Monty wrote:You're trying to play a Xbox 360 generation game with Dreamcast hardware. There's no way around it. You need to upgrade.

That's not actually true. In North America, the Dreamcast was released in 1999 and discontinued in 2001. The Xbox 360 was released in 2005. Megaddd's card is from 2004. It supports Shader Model 3.0, which is what Nitronic Rush requires. Its limited memory may be a problem (Nitronic Rush uses several large offscreen buffers for rendering, and lots of textures), and it's also possible that it doesn't support some of the texture formats the game is using for those buffers. Other than that, theoretically, it should run. Probably very slowly, but it should display the correct image.

However, new graphics cards aren't just a little faster than 2004 graphics cards. They're dramatically faster. My GeForce GTX 570 has 480 unified shader processors and can fill 29 billion pixels per second. That 6600GT has 8 pixel processors and 3 vertex processors. It can fill 4 billion pixels per second.
electronerd

Postby Megaddd » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:53 am

Well, since my motherboard from the stone-age does not have a PCI-E connection, what would be my best bet for a VGA card with SM 3.0?
Megaddd

Postby electronerd » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:44 am

I'm not sure if AGP graphics cards are still being manufactured, honestly.

I wish I had a better answer for you. I'll see if I can bring this thread to the devs' attention, but everybody's busy finishing up school, so I make no promises.
electronerd

Postby Megaddd » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:28 am

Thanks for all the help so far :)

Also, did some research and it seems that your GTX570 can fill 43.9 billion pixels / sec. (so that's exactly 11 times faster than my card)
I'm looking towards buying a PC for 1000$ that has GTX560, 8Gb RAM and an Intel Core i3-2120. I assume it is fairly decent?
Megaddd

Postby thebluephoen1x » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi. I have problem with graphics. The game worked fine for some time and now renders only red-black monochrome graphics. Al lightened graphics are now red. Any idea what might be causing this?

My system: Athlon LE-1600 2.2GHz, Gigabyte nForce 5 motherboard, 1GB DDR2-667 Kingston VRAM, Gainward 9500GT 256MB DDR3, WinXP Pro SP3, DX9c.

Sorry for my bad English.
thebluephoen1x

Postby Stchurdak » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:01 pm

I have the weird rendering (polygons missing on one side of the car, and stretched out/ bugged in tunnels,entrances and exits) problem with a Radeon HD 4250, tried resetting to defaults, did not help at all, any advice?
Stchurdak

Postby electronerd » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:33 am

That's a new one, afaik. Please post screen shots, if you can.
electronerd

PreviousNext

Return to Support and Bug Reports