Graphics Bugs Advice

Get technical help, report issues, and help other Nitronic Rush players here.

Re: Graphics Bugs Advice

Postby Kyle » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:15 pm

@kdude63 Our graphics engine in Nitronic Rush uses DirectX 9 so it can be compatible with Windows XP, Vista, and 7.

I think the issues that some people are having is that their graphics card doesn't have enough video memory to run the game. After looking at the specs of your graphics card, I noticed that it only has 256MB of VRAM and Nitronic Rush requires at least 512MB of VRAM. I'm sorry to have to give you this advice but I would recommend getting a newer graphics card with at least 512MB of VRAM :)
Producer, Programmer | Nitronic Rush
Creative Director, Visuals | Solstice
Kyle

Postby BraveDude8 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:56 am

Kyle wrote:@kdude63 Our graphics engine in Nitronic Rush uses DirectX 9 so it can be compatible with Windows XP, Vista, and 7.

I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Postby ZeroxDeathAngel » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:30 pm

well thats wonderful to hear..i got a laptop so a new graphics card isnt the easiest thing to do..in fact its impossible..already talked to numerous people..
ZeroxDeathAngel

Postby BraveDude8 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:45 am

ZeroxDeathAngel wrote:well thats wonderful to hear..i got a laptop so a new graphics card isnt the easiest thing to do..in fact its impossible..already talked to numerous people..

What, you cant upgrade laptop graphics cards?
I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Postby electronerd » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:36 am

BraveDude8 wrote:What, you cant upgrade laptop graphics cards?

In most laptops, the GPU is directly soldered to the motherboard, and on lower-end models is usually actually part of another component like the northbridge (again, soldered to the motherboard).

I've discovered a common thread here: All the cards mentioned only support Shader Model 2.0b. Nitronic Rush requires Shader Model 3.0.

Unfortunately for those who can't play Nitronic Rush, there have been some incredible advancements in GPU technology just within the past few years. The devices that are having trouble can barely do shaders and have only a tiny amount of video RAM. My graphics card that I bought a year ago has 2GB of RAM, can process a combination of 480 vertices or pixels simultaneously, and can do quite a bit more things in those shaders than the cards in question can. If I'm not mistaken, the developers of Nitronic Rush all have recent systems with upper-midrange to high-end graphics cards, making supporting 5-year-old low-end systems difficult.

On the other hand, the game should probably pop up a message and exit, instead of displaying an unusable white screen.
electronerd

Postby ZeroxDeathAngel » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:47 pm

electronerd wrote:

In most laptops, the GPU is directly soldered to the motherboard, and on lower-end models is usually actually part of another component like the northbridge (again, soldered to the motherboard).

I've discovered a common thread here: All the cards mentioned only support Shader Model 2.0b. Nitronic Rush requires Shader Model 3.0.

Unfortunately for those who can't play Nitronic Rush, there have been some incredible advancements in GPU technology just within the past few years. The devices that are having trouble can barely do shaders and have only a tiny amount of video RAM. My graphics card that I bought a year ago has 2GB of RAM, can process a combination of 480 vertices or pixels simultaneously, and can do quite a bit more things in those shaders than the cards in question can. If I'm not mistaken, the developers of Nitronic Rush all have recent systems with upper-midrange to high-end graphics cards, making supporting 5-year-old low-end systems difficult.

On the other hand, the game should probably pop up a message and exit, instead of displaying an unusable white screen.

i do agree with what all you said and yeah..for BraveDude8..you cant /really/ change a laptops graphics card..mine is a Toshiba Satellite that i got a few years back..was 450 bucks brand new with 2 year warranty and a $120 wireless printer and $50 trend micro 1 year protection for free so..it isnt the best thing but i do hope to get a bigger,better laptop soon enough..i cant go with a desktop..no room in my room for it
ZeroxDeathAngel

Postby BraveDude8 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:01 pm

ZeroxDeathAngel wrote:
electronerd wrote:

i do agree with what all you said and yeah..for BraveDude8..you cant /really/ change a laptops graphics card..mine is a Toshiba Satellite that i got a few years back..was 450 bucks brand new with 2 year warranty and a $120 wireless printer and $50 trend micro 1 year protection for free so..it isnt the best thing but i do hope to get a bigger,better laptop soon enough..i cant go with a desktop..no room in my room for it

Computers, especially RAM, are dropping in price, so it shouldnt be too hard to get a good one when you upgrade.
I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Postby ZeroxDeathAngel » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:10 pm

true..i got a new computer setup for an early christmas present..yet to hook it up but its basically a supercomputer..gonna use it for some hardcore gaming..has 6g ram and 1tb memory..ram upgradable to 18 gigs..its happy happy joy joy time
ZeroxDeathAngel

Postby Megaddd » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:58 pm

I have an old GPU (GeForce 6600GT), with 128Mb VRAM, but I can still open and run the game, the only problem being, is that I can't see a damn thing besides the HUD, yet I can still drive around and (SOMEHOW) managed to get past the tutorial. From what I can tell, the GPU Is still trying to render the game to some extent, because there is severe FPS dropdowns when loading the main menu (again, only the UI is visible). Reducing to the minimal resolution solves the FPS problems (judging from the HUD in-game), but still refuses to render anything.
A possible solution would be using Advanced OpenGL to force unrendering of objects out of scene, and refreshing VRAM when not in use.
I would really reccomend getting one of these old 128Mb cards to try and add support to the low-end machines, It would greatly open up the audience to this game.
Cheers!
Megaddd

Postby electronerd » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:28 am

That card is absolutely ancient. I hate to break it to you, but less than 5% of Steam users have GPUs that can't do Direct3D 10, which debuted four years after your card. Not much of an audience there to open up. That being said, NR should in theory run on your card (it does support SM 3.0). Unfortunately there is a known bug somewhere, but AFAIK neither I nor anybody on Team Nitronic can reproduce it, and being students, there isn't exactly a lot of money to be building a config test lab with, particularly for such far-outdated parts. (Of course, DigiPen should have such a lab available to the students, but this is neither the place nor the time for that rant.)

And I may catch shit for saying this, but please, please don't try to impress programmers by using jargon you don't understand. 100% of the time it has the exact opposite effect.
electronerd

PreviousNext

Return to Support and Bug Reports