Graphics Bugs Advice

Get technical help, report issues, and help other Nitronic Rush players here.

Graphics Bugs Advice

Postby Kyle » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:14 am

Currently we are aware of some graphics bugs that I would like to help address here. We will be working on more graceful solutions to these but for now here is my advice.

Slowdown or Frame Delays
If you are experiencing slow down or frame delays, you may want to try restarting your computer and making sure when running the game that you don't have any other applications open that may be taking computer resources (even things like Google Chrome). If the game is still running slow, the best thing to do is to lower the resolution within the options menu and apply your changes, it should speed it up a bit.

Blank Screen on Game Launch
We think this bug is caused by the game launching into fullscreen with an incorrect resolution or refresh rate. This unfortunately means that you will have to manually update your userdata file to have the correct values for those.

The location of the userdata.xml file varies by Windows version (just copy and paste the path, percent signs and all, into Start->Run or the Windows Explorer address bar):
  • Windows XP: %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\digipen\nitronic_rush\
    (this usually expands to something like C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\digipen\nitronic_rush\)
  • Windows Vista/7: %LocalAppData%\digipen\nitronic_rush\
    (this usually expands to something like C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\digipen\nitronic_rush\

If you want to manually navigate to the nitronic_rush folder by clicking on folders instead of copy/pasting the path, you'll need to have "Show Hidden Files" turned on, as the folders are marked as hidden.

Here is a picture to show you where the userdata file is located in Windows 7 (click to expand):
Path.png
This shows the path to the userdata file.
Path.png (172.9 KiB) Viewed 11988 times

When you find the userdata file, open it with any text editor. I would first recommend that you try changing the windowed value to 1.

Windowed value within the userdata file to try changing:
<Boolean name="windowed" value="1" />

After that, go ahead and relaunch the game, it should launch in windowed mode and from there you can go into the options menu and set fullscreen up. Use the resolution and refresh rate that you want, uncheck the windowed option and apply your changes. This should then put the game into fullscreen correctly.

If for some reason that doesn't work for you, try setting the windowed value back to 0 and the resolution and refresh rate to the proper values for your monitor within the userdata file.

Values to try changing within the file:
<Integer name="resolution_x" value="???" />
<Integer name="resolution_y" value="???" />
<Integer name="refresh_rate" value="???" />
<Boolean name="windowed" value="0" />

Replace the ??? with the correct values for your monitor. Common refresh rates to try include 56, 60, 62, 65, 70, 72, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 110 and 120.

Rendering Weirdness, Random Polygons Missing, Only Rendering The Upper Left Corner
Unfortunately we are not exactly sure what is causing this, we think it is something to do with graphics cards performing anti-aliasing on the game. Luckily some people have seemed to be able to fix this bug pretty easily by restoring their graphics card settings back to the default state. I am not sure if this will help but it is definitely worth a shot!

NVIDIA Graphics Card Steps:
First open up your NVIDIA Control Panel by selecting it from the programs within the start menu. Once it is opened, on the left side, expand the "3D Settings" and then click on "Manage 3D Settings". From there you can try tweaking some of the options (particularly the anti-aliasing options) but I would recommend that you simply restore your settings back to the default state. Once you did that, try relaunching the game and hopefully it will look correct.

Here is a picture to help better explain what to do (click to expand):
NVIDIA control panel.png
This is a screenshot to show you how to restore your NVIDIA settings back to the default state.
NVIDIA control panel.png (119.15 KiB) Viewed 12018 times

AMD or ATI Graphics Card Steps:
First open up your Catalyst Control Center by right clicking on the destop and selecting it from the drop down menu. Once it is opened, you can try tweaking some of the graphics options (particularly the anti-aliasing options) from within there, however, I would recommend simply clicking on the "Preferences" in the upper right corner and clicking on the "Restore Factory Defaults ...". Once you did that, try relaunching the game and hopefully it will look correct.

Here is a picture to help better explain what to do (click to expand):
ATI CCC.jpg
This is a screenshot to show you how to restore your AMD or ATI settings back to the default state.
ATI CCC.jpg (101.42 KiB) Viewed 12018 times

Screen Flashing
This is because of the High Dynamic Range lighting within the game causing issues due to low frame rate. Since Nitronic Rush uses a lot of advanced graphics techniques to deliver the awesome visuals, it requires a fairly good graphics card to run. The best thing you can do to improve frame rate is to lower the resolution within the options menu and apply your changes. If the frame rate is still too slow, I would recommend trying to play the game on a higher end computer that has a better graphics card.
Last edited by electronerd on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Added specific instructions for locating userdata folder on XP
Producer, Programmer | Nitronic Rush
Creative Director, Visuals | Solstice
Kyle

Re: Graphics Bugs Advice

Postby Nettlebrand » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:35 pm

I got the blank screen as well as music playing after a few minutes, but when I searched for the userdata.xml and it wasn't there. Yes, I had show hidden files on.
Nettlebrand

Postby Kyle » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:01 am

Are you using the Window's search bar to search for the userdata file or did you manually go to the correct directory and it wasn't there?

If you used the Window's search bar, there is a good chance that it didn't find it because the file wasn't in its cache yet. If you didn't manually look for it, I would recommend trying that out. If you did manually look for it and still couldn't find it in that directory, you may have to completely uninstall, download the installer again (it should be 456 MB), and install that new copy.
Kyle

Postby cyber » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:41 am

Hi, I keep getting just a blank screen, tried everything you said, but still the same result, please help, want to play this game so bad
cyber

Re: Graphics Bugs Advice - Blank Screen

Postby ZeroxDeathAngel » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:23 pm

i am having the blank screen problem but after editing everything,i still get a blank screen after 5 minutes of the music playing..i really wanna play the game but nothing works..i have it set to windowed and the values for the x and y resolution as well as the refresh rate were set as my computers specs,ive also downloaded and redownloaded the game hoping for a fix that way but nothing..
ZeroxDeathAngel

Postby Kyle » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:36 am

I am sorry that you are still experiencing these problems. I would like to help you out and I am wondering what your system specs are? Can you post your CPU, GPU, and RAM specs for me so I have more information when trying to debug this?
Kyle

Re: Graphics Bugs Advice - Blank Screen

Postby ZeroxDeathAngel » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:37 pm

CPU: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 2.00 GHz
GPU: ATI Radeon X1250
RAM: 4.00 GB

hope this helps
ZeroxDeathAngel

Postby MasterOfAll » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:59 pm

Hey when i load the game all i get is white screen i can hear the music playin but i see nothing i have tried everything you posted but it doesnt seem to work please help
MasterOfAll

Postby maskata631 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:03 pm

can you tell for windows xp pls i have the same problem
maskata631

Postby Thoran » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:29 pm

Hey, even after doing everything, there are no changes in the result. Got any other ideas on how to fix this white screen thing?
Thoran

Next

Return to Support and Bug Reports