Editor Weirdness

Share gameplay videos, high scores, custom levels, etc. with the Nitronic Rush community!

Editor Weirdness

Postby Haligen » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:33 pm

This is basically a thread for people to post weirdness in the level editor. Now I don't mean posting stuff about how the editor sucks because X, Y, and Z are unintuitive, I'm talking about weirdness. Like when rotating a checkpoint that has been triggered still drops the player in the first orientation the checkpoint was in. That is weirdness.

Basic format I'll lay out.

Problem
-Answer

1) Checkpoint spawns me in the same direction regardless of me rotating the checkpoint.
- Reset all checkpoints through editor mode.

2) The camera does not rotate around an object it's rotating as if I were holding the camera.
- Hit V, you may have accidentally hit it.
- This is a curious issue and can sometimes be fixed by leaving and re-entering the editor. Worst case scenario is that you have to exit the game completely and re-enter.

3) The "J" and "K" functionality does not work for groups of objects.
- That is correct.

4) I can't place my green cursor thing on objects I just placed in the level
- Exit and re-enter editor mode, this should fix the issue

I'm very certain there are other weirdnesses in the editor so feel free to post them and I will update this list accordingly.
Haligen

Re: Editor Weirdness

Postby chiigan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:25 am

Great idea ! this will help a lot !

hum for the camera I have an other solution, if I hit "V" ( on AZERTY keyboard i don't know if it's V for QWERTY ) I can switch from one to the another camera mode !

Chiigan
chiigan

Postby Haligen » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:18 am

Wow... I designed pretty much all of the levels for Nitronic and I did not realize that key did something... heh, thanks for heads up :D
Haligen

Postby chiigan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:10 am

Huhu no problem, when i started to create my first level with a French keyboard I had to check all the hotkeys to note the differences :ugeek:
chiigan

Postby Mr. Mister » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:52 am

There's a limit on the number of objects you can move at the same time without crashing. I'm not sure how many exactly, but it's been slowing down my Project Phaaze A LOT.

A humble number on the screen telling you how many objects you have selected at the moment would be REALLY, REALLY useful... and even let me make a Project Hardcall.
Delacroix wrote:Yes, we know Mister, yours is always the biggest.
Mr. Mister

Postby fzeroman » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:51 pm

!. Did not mean to add train, really just testing it out

2. couldn't delete train, image still remains

3.see pics

i cannot select the train @ all and remove it!
And it's not on another layer,
i hit delete but it remained!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT
NEVERMIND
when i went back into the game the train's vanished :(

But to comment on the pics soo far should i go for a orginal level or a cruisin world egypt level?
TOTALLY TUBULAR!!!!
fzeroman

Leaderboard Initials: FZM

Postby Monty » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:12 am

I had the same issue with the train AND the mines. Seems like a pretty harmless glitch if you reload the level.
Monty

Postby fzeroman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:28 pm

how do you remove VolcanoSmoke.png from the editor/current level?
i kindof put too much in and now the level runs slower/ too bright in spots
i checked through the .xml file itself but couldn't find it
TOTALLY TUBULAR!!!!
fzeroman

Leaderboard Initials: FZM

Postby Ciastex » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:41 am

Do it with ctrl+z or try to randomly click. Hopefully you could click on it.
You've successfully read this sentence.
Ciastex

Postby Kyle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:47 am

Dude, I'm loving the look of your level so far, it's really unique. I'm a huge fan of Africa and Egypt so I'd say go for that look!

As for the train, if you deleted it from the level within the editor, it won't actually be saved in the level file anymore but it will visually still be there until you leave the editor and come back. It is just an editor weirdness thing and I apologize for the confusion on that.

As for the VolcanoSmoke, if you open your level .xml file in a good text editor like notepad++ or gedit and ctrl+f for volcano, you should see the game objects with that name. If you can't find them in there, they may not actually exist in the file.

Hopefully this helps, and let me know if you have any other weirdness or questions :)
Producer, Programmer | Nitronic Rush
Creative Director, Visuals | Solstice
Kyle

Next

Return to Share with the Community