Fan made gamepad design - looking for suggestions

Share gameplay videos, high scores, custom levels, etc. with the Nitronic Rush community!

Fan made gamepad design - looking for suggestions

Postby badpompous » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:54 am

Hey guys, we're huge Nitronic fans so we decided to make a gamepad for it. Getting stuck a little bit on the design

We're thinking either 2D (with buttons): http://flypad.tumblr.com/post/194429164 ... on-sensing

Or 3D (tilt/motion in all directions): http://flypad.tumblr.com/post/194431409 ... on-sensing

ANY SUGGESTIONS?!
badpompous

Re: Fan made gamepad design - looking for suggestions

Postby ChrisBarrett » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Overall I think the "3D" one seems more interesting. By keyboard controls, steering left/right and gas/brake are all on the arrow keys. These also being slower, more subtle air-control on tilting the car. So the "3D" layout (if it's bound the way I think it is, but I don't have an iPhone to test it) would make sense. Where tilting the phone can also slowly tilt the car in the air.
The downside to this setup then is the same one we have when people play with the keyboard. If one goes off a ramp holding gas full-on (which is common), they then also start tilting downward and falling short on the jump.

A small detail that may help in the controller's design: in Nitronic Rush using boost also implies full "gas," but without that car-tilting component.

If the Flypad can be used to imitate a 360 gamepad, it might be interesting to do a layout which assumes Nitronic Rush is using the Advanced Controls layout. In this one, it's necessary to hold a key to then turn the usual steering controls (left analog stick) into the rotational jet control. I could see something like boost being by the right thumb, steering and gas/brake tilting "3D"-style, and the rotational jet toggle being by the left thumb. Making it possible to quickly go from boosting along to doing a high-speed flip; without going for the smaller arrow buttons in the middle of the controller layout.

Is there anything about Nitronic Rush's controls that you (Flypad devs) would like to see changed in order to make it more functional? A combining of inputs, separating some, changing sensitivity, anything like this? If so, there might be something simple we can figure out to improve the experience.

Very cool to see your app with a special layout for our game, by the way. I do hope to try it sometime. :)
ChrisBarrett

Leaderboard Initials: CHB

Postby badpompous » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Chris - thanks for the reply. On your points:

Agreed with the 3D one. Having played with both, thats the one thats the most fun - [EDIT] you've seen it in action already (sorry for the old link repeat).

We've noticed the same downside (that controller is currently live in the appstore) in terms of going off ramps and then having to tilt back to prevent yourself from shooting downwards. Using the Boost definitely helps but it puts the onus on the user to KNOW to do that (though I guess after a few iterations of practice you'd understand).

Your idea with the rotational control is pretty interesting; we're havent yet cloned the 360 set up, but that should be ready in a few weeks, and we'll give it a try then. Definitely makes for a more subtle & intuitive feel as players would be able to leverage the same control for (essentially) 2 purposes.

As far as changes, could I email you? (I'm at ayo@flypadapp.com). I cant think of any off the top of my head but as players get into it, probably makes sense to use their feedback. In addition, as the creators of the game, you probably have good ideas on how to push this for better gameplay. At the very least, I'd love to know what you think about it.

Also - you have an android phone? Its coming soon . . .
badpompous

Postby Ciastex » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:02 am

badpompous wrote:Also - you have an android phone? Its coming soon . . .

Just asking, which platforms except iPhone and Android are you targeting? Is it coming for Windows Phone 7 too?
You've successfully read this sentence.
Ciastex

Postby badpompous » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:19 am

We dont in the very short term have plans to support windows phone though we've recieved requests from Windows Phone devs for access to our API (which we WILL release) that will in turn allow them to build windows phones (2 specific devs have asked for this). Will be unofficial but its definitely on the way.
badpompous

Postby ChrisBarrett » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:02 pm

badpompous wrote:As far as changes, could I email you?

Sure. I can be reached directly at chris@nitronic-rush.com.
ChrisBarrett

Leaderboard Initials: CHB

Postby Mr. Mister » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:05 am

Is the device advanced enough as to detect rotation on its transversal axis? (this is, the vertical axis when you are holding it sideways and with the screen perpendicular to the ground).

Because, let's be honest: smartphone rotating controlled thrusted sounds awesome. With that solved, maybe merge the brake, gas and boost functions into a single vertical scroll-bar for the right thumb, ala gas power level lever, an horizontal scrollbar for steering, on the left thumb; both scrollbars would reset to neutral position if fingers are released. Maybe I'll post a concept of it later.

Also I had the first impression that the thrust arrows were meant to be controled with your tongue. And I'm not sure whether that is a terrible or a genious idea.
Delacroix wrote:Yes, we know Mister, yours is always the biggest.
Mr. Mister

Postby gidllawue » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:47 am

badpompous wrote:Chris - thanks for the reply. On your points:

Agreed with the 3D one. Having played with both, thats the one thats the most fun - [EDIT] you've seen it in action already (sorry for the old link repeat).

We've noticed the same downside (that controller is currently live in the appstore) in terms of going off ramps and then having to tilt back to prevent yourself from shooting downwards. Using the Boost definitely helps but it puts the onus on the user to KNOW to do that (though I guess after a few iterations of practice you'd understand).

Your idea with the rotational control is pretty interesting; we're havent yet cloned the 360 set up, but that should be ready in a few weeks, and we'll give it a try then. Definitely makes for a more subtle & intuitive feel as players would be able to leverage the same control for (essentially) 2 purposes.

As far as changes, could I email you? (I'm at ayo@flypadapp.com). I cant think of any off the top of my head but as players get into it, probably makes sense to use their feedback. In addition, as the creators of the game, you probably have good ideas on how to push this for better gameplay. At the very least, I'd love to know what you think about it.

Also - you have an android phone? Its coming soon . . .

Thank you for your post, it's good
gidllawue

Leaderboard Initials: TRN

Postby johnmike89 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:37 am

VMware Workstation Pro 14.1.2 Crack With License Key Full Version
VMware Workstation Pro With Crack is here. If you guys looking for a product that can convert your PC into a cybernetic machine then you guys come to a right place in sickbits we are offering you a product called VMware workstation 14.1.2 key this is a well-known and perfect tool for you to initiate all the new versions of this tool VMware Workstation Pro.

Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Crack With Product Key Full Version
Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Crack is here and you can unlock all the premium features. It’s the fantastic tools package for creating and editing document files. MS Office Professional Plus 2016 Closing Full Model with a brand new look and a number of improvements over the last edition.
johnmike89

Return to Share with the Community