How To Enable The Level Editor

Share gameplay videos, high scores, custom levels, etc. with the Nitronic Rush community!

How To Enable The Level Editor

Postby Kyle » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:15 am

I wanted to help everyone enable the level editor. Our level editor is heavily based on blender which can be downloaded for free here http://www.blender.org/. The controls are a little wonky but they get the job done. Also, we didn't intend on having our players using this version of the level editor, so good luck :D

Anyways, the first thing that you'll have to do to enable the level editor is edit the core_config and nitronic files within our Program Files config directory. The complete path to that directory should be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\DigiPen\Nitronic Rush\config.

Here is a picture to help you out (click to enlarge):
FilesToChange.jpg
This picture should help you find the files to change.
FilesToChange.jpg (198.56 KiB) Viewed 18553 times

Once you find the core_config and the nitronic files, open them with any text editor running as an administrator. Within the core_config file, you will have to change the DevKeys value under the Dev category to be true. Within the nitronic file, you will have to change the EditorEnabled value under the Dev category to be true as well.

Here is a picture to help you out (click to enlarge):
ValuesToChange.jpg
This picture should help you change the correct values to enable the level editor.
ValuesToChange.jpg (253.17 KiB) Viewed 18553 times

Once you edited those values, you should be able to use the Nitronic Rush level editor within the game. To open the level editor, press ctrl+~(tilda) within the main menu of the game. At first when you are in the level editor you will see the car falling so press alt+~(tilda) to open our level editor's menu. From there you can create levels, I recommend looking at http://forum.nitronic-rush.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28 for helpful level editor hints and tricks.
Producer, Programmer | Nitronic Rush
Creative Director, Visuals | Solstice
Kyle

Re: How To Enable The Level Editor

Postby kararty » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:59 pm

Durr, it says " Please check wether if this file is opened in another program" , I opened it wih NotePad++ and nitronic rush is not opened...
kararty

Postby kararty » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:21 pm

kararty wrote:Durr, it says " Please check wether if this file is opened in another program" , I opened it wih NotePad++ and nitronic rush is not opened...

Well...problem fixed by moving the files then moving them back.... :ugeek:
kararty

Postby darmani » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:45 am

Hello!

I have a little problem, i changes both values (using notepad) but still when i'm in the main menu and pressing ctrl+(~) nothing happens. (windows xp)

Thanks for your help!
darmani

Postby gamevingw » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:25 am

It says "acsess denied" every time I try. I AM the admin, so I don't get what's going on... :x
gamevingw

Postby MYSTERYomg » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:13 pm

gamevingw wrote:It says "acsess denied" every time I try. I AM the admin, so I don't get what's going on... :x

I had that problem,

Just save it in a differant location, and then switch it by clicking and dragging it.
MYSTERYomg

Postby FzPure » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:20 pm

darmani wrote:Hello!

I have a little problem, i changes both values (using notepad) but still when i'm in the main menu and pressing ctrl+(~) nothing happens. (windows xp)

Thanks for your help!

I have the same issue, and I also use XP. is it an issue with the OS?
FzPure

Postby RosemarySavage » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:30 am

Hi! thanks for this information, I edited my level and now it works great!
RosemarySavage

Postby irenebl » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:12 am

yeah i saved it to another location and it worked fine for me, however took me a while to figure this out so thanks for posting for others because i know how frustrating this can be!
irenebl

Postby Monty » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:40 am

It appears that it's impossible to enable the level editor if you have a UK keyboard. I don't know about US keyboards, but on a UK keyboard holding shift and # changes the case to a tilda. On a US keyboard, I think it's the other way around. If you hold the keys down on a UK keyboard you're essentially just typing a tilda on it's own since the shift key is already being used to change the case of the hash key to a tilda. If you hold down alt and tilda, you get alt and hash instead since the case can't change.

tl;dr it's impossible to enable the level editor on a UK keyboard.
Monty

Next

Return to Share with the Community