[video] Nitronic Rush with a wheel!

Share gameplay videos, high scores, custom levels, etc. with the Nitronic Rush community!

[video] Nitronic Rush with a wheel!

Postby Xanthus1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:14 pm

I've went through a few different control schemes before I settled on this one. Game is incredibly fun, I just need to tweak the wheel sensitivity, it feels like there's a bit of a dead zone and I can't make minor adjustments as well.

Video Here!
Xanthus1

Re: [video] Nitronic Rush with a wheel!

Postby Skirmisher » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:24 am

That looks awesome! I should try rigging my wheel up for NR sometime. I even have a joystick which I can use for the rotation :D
Skirmisher

Leaderboard Initials: SKR

Postby Xanthus1 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:42 am

It's soooo worth it. Having a joystick would definitely make for cleaner controls. I do like having to enter roll mode for the side thrusters though, because it makes the hardcore levels require really cool wheel movement. However, I'm still considering getting a cheap joystick , it would probably be more accurate to how the car would actually work.
Xanthus1

Postby Skirmisher » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Yeah, I got the joystick idea from the concept Distance arcade cabinet setup (attached below). I'll probably have it set up with the trigger as the roll-mode button so that it rotates the car slowly by default.
Attachments
7818e69982542c7f0f214ebc274e6e97_large.png
Distance arcade cabinet concept from the Kickstarter page
7818e69982542c7f0f214ebc274e6e97_large.png (149.4 KiB) Viewed 5136 times
Skirmisher

Postby Skirmisher » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Well, I've got x360ce all set up, but there's no way to make both the joystick and the wheel report as controller 1. I've searched around and discovered others trying to get two controllers to work as one, but they haven't found anything either...
Skirmisher

Postby Xanthus1 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:39 pm

I used xpadder to make my controller use some of the keyboard inputs. I think joy2key is a free solution that could help you do that. The only thing you really need to emulate the 360 controller with is the analog stick for precise driving, all the rest can be emulated keyboard keys.
Xanthus1

Postby Skirmisher » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:55 pm

Right, I actually have Xpadder as well, but emulating the 360 controller would really be a more elegant solution. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so of course I'm going to take the path of most resistance since I would think the gas/brake/steering wouldn't feel right. :P
Skirmisher

Postby Xanthus1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:49 pm

Sorry I may have been unclear. I use both at the same time. I use the 360 controller emulation for the analog stick so I have precise gas/break and movement, then for all the other keys else I use xpadder.
Xanthus1

Postby Skirmisher » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Oh, I see. Anyway, since there appears to be no way to combine two controllers into one virtual one, I'll have to just use one or the other (currently using the joystick, since my wheel has six buttons and no gearshift stick), unless x360ce is randomly changed to allow the use of multiple controllers for one emulated 360 controller (although taking a look at the structure of the config file has made me doubt this).
Skirmisher

Postby commanderwill2142 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:56 pm

actually, there is a way to combine joysticks. I use ppjoy, it's a somewhat dead project but you can still find the old files online. PPJoy is intended to be a virtual joystick emulator, but it also includes another program called ppjoyjoy or remixer or something like that. using ppjoyjoy you can combine as many joysticks, gamepads, wheels, whatever. Once you have it all set up I assume you'll be able to use it in x360ce, unfortunately it crashes for me though so I'm not sure, maybe it's the virtual controller confusing it. If anybody is interested in trying this method out I can link you to a more detailed blog post.
commanderwill2142

Next

Return to Share with the Community