[video] Nitronic Rush with a wheel!

Share gameplay videos, high scores, custom levels, etc. with the Nitronic Rush community!

Re: [video] Nitronic Rush with a wheel!

Postby commanderwill2142 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:51 pm

*update* if anyone's interested in combining joysticks for use in Nitronic Rush via PPJoy PPJoyJoy/remixer and x360ce, I found a working version of x360ce on my computer and have been successfully able to get it to recognize my virtual controller/joystick wheel combo. If anyone is interested in learning more, let me know and I'll post a youtube tutorial or detailed step by step post.
commanderwill2142

Postby eRKSToCK » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:12 am

commanderwill2142 wrote:*update* if anyone's interested in combining joysticks for use in Nitronic Rush via PPJoy PPJoyJoy/remixer and x360ce, I found a working version of x360ce on my computer and have been successfully able to get it to recognize my virtual controller/joystick wheel combo. If anyone is interested in learning more, let me know and I'll post a youtube tutorial or detailed step by step post.

Please do that sounds really interesting. I have some joysticks and controllers laying around here...
eRKSToCK

Leaderboard Initials: ERK

Postby Skirmisher » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:16 pm

I've actually come across PPJoy, but the control panel app complained that PPJoyBus.sys wasn't installed, and I couldn't find PPJoyJoy. If you could give me a link to that, that'd be awesome!
Skirmisher

Leaderboard Initials: SKR

Postby commanderwill2142 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:47 pm

I'm not sure what to do about the error, but ppjoyjoy is located in the folder that it installs to (usually) C:\Program Files\PPJoy Joystick Driver. if you're using windows 7 you should just be able to type 'joystick remixer' into the search bar and it will come up. I'm using ppjoy version 8.4.6. I'll get to work on the movie, I should be able to finish the tutorial this weekend, maybe early next week.

here's the blog for the release I use http://ppjoy.blogspot.com/2010/03/new-test-release.html
here's a link to the download, Idk if this site is trustable or not, use at your own risk http://www.general-files.com/download/g ... 6.exe.html
commanderwill2142

Postby Skirmisher » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:59 pm

Thanks for the link! Apparently I had an entirely different version. I'll be sure to mess around with it a little later!
Skirmisher

Postby Skirmisher » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:56 pm

After lots of annoying work to get the virtual controller to work with x360ce (the editor refuses to detect the controller, so you have to paste the GUIDs in the INI file and skip the editor entirely), I've got a decent NR wheel/joystick setup! I could still mess around with controls to see what I like best, but otherwise it's pretty good, except for the fact that x360ce puts a huge deadzone on the wheel for some reason, making it really annoying to steer. I'll need to figure that out, but in the meantime, steering with the joystick works just fine. (To make the joystick and the wheel both roll/steer the car, I modified the NR Lua control-binding script: I disabled the camera function of the right stick, bound the car turn function to the right stick as well, and assigned the wheel to the right stick.)
Skirmisher

Postby commanderwill2142 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

Have you tried messing around with the anti-deadzone function in x360ce? I put it up to 90% and it solved my problems with the wheel.
commanderwill2142

Postby Skirmisher » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Yeah, I was incrementing it bit by bit, but I'll just set it to 90%, thanks for the tip :)
Skirmisher

Postby commanderwill2142 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:36 pm

I apologize, I still haven't finished my video tutorial about combining joysticks and configuring specifically for Nitronic Rush, every time I think I'm done, I come across some new information or something.

Anyway, there's a new alternative to ppjoy + ppjoyjoy, it is now possible to use Vjoy + Autohotkey + UJR to virtually combine multiple physical joysticks. Vjoy itself has been around for quite a while, but UJR (universal joystick remapper) is relatively new.

UJR has slightly more options than ppjoyjoy at this point, it supports up to 8 axis instead of 7 and an almost unlimited number of buttons. It also features individual deadzone settings for each axis as well as an invert option for each individual axis.

One of the best parts is that VJoy allows you to assign the virtual joystick to any device ID, so you can set it to #1 and theoretically it will be detected by your games first
Other benefits of using this system include: active developement, Open Source, active tech support forum.
If PPJoy isn't working for you, or if you just want to take advantage of these benefits, here are the links! (although, I don't really see how this is much of an improvement for Nitronic Rush). also, you must uninstall PPJoy before installing Vjoy

http://vjoystick.sourceforge.net (VJoy) http://evilc.com/files/ahk/vjoy/ujr.zip (custom UJR script) http://l.autohotkey.net (autohotkey)
commanderwill2142

Postby Skirmisher » Sat May 04, 2013 6:06 am

That's actually pretty useful, as my setup has 17 buttons total. Thanks a lot for all your help!
Skirmisher

Previous

Return to Share with the Community