Fun, but not exactly mind-blowing.

Share your thoughts and feedback on Nitronic Rush. Remember to be constructive.

Fun, but not exactly mind-blowing.

Postby NekoShell » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:43 am

First off, this game, for being free, is pretty god damned fun.
The physics are pretty good, but when they don't work, they really don't, the driving is responsive, but can be a bit awkward to control in some cases, and some of the outright WTF moments you can create are hilarious.

Having said that, I have one little issue with the game.
Hardcore mode was fair enough up until the last two stages, where it turns a fun gimmick introduced in the advanced tutorial into an absolute nightmare; when I am simply incapable of getting through an area that is far too reliant on luck in hoping that the physics engine will let me pass, I tend to get a bit annoyed. I tend to want to punt my controller through the monitor.
I love a good challenge, and Hardcore was actually rather decent about it, but Hardcore Black and Death Machine take it to such a degree, that it becomes a test of patience to not alt+f4 out of rage because of the awful design of some of the spots.

It didn't help that all the while the announcer was telling me how much I fail at it, although I ended up forgetting there was a volume bar for the announcer, which I'll have to use when I play it later.

Still a fun game though, but not quite as great as it was made out to be.

Edit 1: I thought Black and Death Machine were the worst, but I didn't attempt challenge mode last night. Guys, when I have to cheat on your level just to even stand a chance of winning, something is direly wrong. Saw Ride is a pristine example of a difficulty curve that's akin to saying "No, you are not winning, stop trying.". No indication of what to do, no realistic way of getting across without saying a few prayers and hoping that the game will stop being a bastard and actually let you win. I had to abuse the area that you can drive on at the bottom of the map without dying and jumping up to the platform (with varying degrees of success). I shut the game off after that level, and I doubt I play that mode any more.

I think the most fun I've had with this game was story, and the old levels; I'm not good enough with stunts to want to do stunt mode, I don't see myself going through hardcore again, and I can't see myself wanting to punch a hole in my monitor from challenge mode.
Still though, for all the problems I have with this game, it's still a really fun time waster to try and beat my times in arcade story and such. Maybe I'll futz around with the level editor when I can be bothered to figure it out.
NekoShell

Re: Fun, but not exactly mind-blowing.

Postby Haligen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:13 pm

Yes, I agree that the saw level is basically luck unless you use the van to fly over all of the saws. That's not obvious, I know. We saw the challenge mode to be something beyond hardcore mode, and it's also meant to be challenging so "cheating" the levels is expected, but really, if it's possible in the game then it's not cheating. It's creative problem solving.

For black and death machine. What area in black did you have a problem with? I already know what area you had an issue with in Death machine, which was intentional on my part. I knew that area was going to be a pain for people and I wanted it that way. It's the last level of the set and it should be the hardest. Precision is the key in the hardcore levels.

Also, a helpful hint for hardcore mode. Always be sure to rotate your car so that the underside of the car is pointing towards the sky. So, if you're on a right-side road you should rotate counter-clockwise and if you're on a left-side road you should rotate clockwise. It will help with negating the gravity. Remember that gravity never changes, it's always forcing the car down.
Haligen

Postby BraveDude8 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Agreed on the hardcore levels, some of them are just ridiculous, and require clever hovering (aim up, deploy booster) to get through...
I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Postby NekoShell » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Maybe calling it cheating was a bit much.

The area in Black that I had trouble with was the area that required you to hop and turn the car upside down to hit the track. It was kind of a broken up loop, I think it was after the third or so checkpoint. I could make that first bit just fine, but the second one I would always be off, even if I was going completely center, and it was basically a crapshoot on whether or not I'd make it past that first part, but then I'd have to do the second bit of that area. I've only managed to do the level twice without going insane.

Maybe it's just me, maybe it's not as hard as I'm making it out to be, but I just found it awful (though the rest of the level was fine).
NekoShell

Postby Haligen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:47 pm

I think I have an idea of where you are. It's the area where you just passed the ramp to side-wall area right?

I could look into it, but I think it is just precision. That's a key thing that is needed in the hardcore levels. It will help immensely with the challenge levels as well.
Haligen

Postby NekoShell » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Pretty sure it was, yeah.
Thing is though, there were times where I was absolutely dead on, but my vehicle still wouldn't take to the track, or would veer off for no real reason, like it was just saying no to me.

Again, maybe it's just me, but something about it just felt really off.
NekoShell

Postby Haligen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm having no troubles in that area, what control scheme are you using? I've gone through the level with all three and it seems reasonable. At least, as long as you're boosting. Be sure to jump before rotating to a surface as well. That helps too.
Haligen

Postby NekoShell » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:36 am

360 pad. I've been bigger on pads for racers than keyboards.
I always hop off the road when one of those crazy moments is coming. I tried it once without jumping, and it went about as well as you'd expect.

I'm still really having fun with the game though trying to get better times, and would totally be all over user-submitted tracks/more official "normal" maps. The old "unpolished" levels were probably even more fun than the story ones for me.
I would definitely like to see a custom soundtrack option too. Having Foobar playing in the background with the game music turned down is fine and all, but I think it'd be a bit more convenient, and easier to control.
NekoShell

Postby BraveDude8 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:10 am

Out of interest, why did you give up on the 'old maps'? They are just as good as the rest!

'starts flamewar' Personally, I use the keyboard for this, I can't multitask on controllers like Neko can. Nice to know lots of people are enjoying it though.
I'm in your forums.
Helping your players.
kthxbai
BraveDude8

Postby NekoShell » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:59 pm

Edit: Never mind, you were talking to the other guy.

The keyboard controls aren't bad to me or anything, I've just been playing driving games with a pad for most of my time as a gamer, so any other control method just feels alien to me. Pad ftw! :D
Last edited by NekoShell on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NekoShell

Next

Return to Feedback